Beets, grapefruit, and tarragon? Yes, we went there. We were inspired by a beet martini recipe that featured grapefruit juice, and added in the tarragon simple syrup after perusing our copy of The Flavor Bible (do yourself a favor and order a copy) which recommended pairing beet with the bittersweet herb. Earthy, herbal, and bright, it’s a good one for opening the night. Makes one 4-oz serving
- 2 oz Kally Verjus
- 1 oz beet juice (try Laketree Organics Fresh Pressed Beet Juice, or similar)
- 1 oz Fever-Tree Sparkling Pink Grapefruit (or similar)
- ¾-1 ¼ tsp tarragon-infused simple syrup, to taste (see recipe below)
- Combine all the ingredients in a glass and stir gently until mixed.
- Pour the drink into your preferred glass and add fresh ice. Garnish with tarragon leaves or dehydrated citrus.
From the Kally Kitchen:
Depending on the brand, your beet juice may have some lemon juice added as a stabilizer; ours did for this recipe – if yours doesn’t, consider garnishing with a fresh lemon.
Tarragon Simple Syrup
(for recipe above)
Makes 4oz, enough for 8+ drinks
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- Leaves of three (3) sprigs of tarragon
- Add the tarragon leaves to the sugar and water and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat.
- Once the sugar has fully dissolved, take the pan off the heat. Leave the tarragon leaves in the simple syrup for 30 minutes as it cools, then strain them out.
- Once cool, store in a clean glass container in the fridge for up to a week.
- You’ll likely have extra syrup after making some cocktails – combine with soda water and ice to taste for a refreshing Tarragon Italian Soda!