Recipe by Maggie Beer
Maggie places this one in the autumn and winter recipe section on her website, but we’re fans of drinking it all year round. There’s something really refreshing about the combination of pear, ginger and verjus. The crushed ice also makes it feel like you’re having an elegant slushie, and what’s not to love about that? Serves 5.
- 20 oz (600ml) Verjuice
- ½ cup (100g) caster sugar (superfine sugar)
- 4 fresh pears moderately ripe
- 1 oz (30g) fresh ginger peeled
- 2 TBS honey
- 3 cups crushed ice
- To serve: dried pear or apple (optional)
- First, make the verjus syrup. Place 3.5 oz (100 ml) of verjus and the ½ cup (100g) of sugar into a medium size pot and place over a high heat. Bring to the boil, then remove and cool. Store in the fridge in a clean glass container for up to two weeks.
- Cut the pears into quarters and remove the core, then roughly chop into small pieces. (Tip: buy pears at least 3 or 4 days in advance to ripen out of the fridge. If the pears are very green they will be very dry.)
- Place the pears into a blender with the fresh ginger, honey, 500 milliliters of Verjuice, Verjuice syrup and blend until smooth.
- Half fill 5 glasses with crushed ice, pour over the pear mixture.
- Serve with dried pear or apple (optional).